Koi fish-shaped sushi / コイ寿司
190ml water for cooking the rice
5cm square sheet of kombu
1 block squid (diamondback)
1 piece spicy cod roe
2 cherry radish
black sesame or seaweed (for eyes)
1. Cook the rice with kombu.
2. Boil water in a pot.
3. Remove the head, shell, and sand vein of the shrimp.
4. Put a stick into the back of the shrimp.
5. Boil the shrimp for about a minute.
6. Slice the shrimp down the middle on the inside, and spread the two sides out to flatten it.
7. Cut off the root and top of the cherry radish.
8. Slice the top of a cherry radish shallowly with 3 intersecting lines to make a 6-sided cross. Then cut the lines in a V shape. Do the v cut on the side as well.
9. Slice the squid thinly. Criss-cross cut the surface to make it look like it has scales. (From 2:59～)
10. Cut through two thirds of the cucumber. Make sure not to cut all the way through.
11. Cut it vertically this time, 2/3rds of the way through.
12. After cutting the cucumber into chunks, flatten the two halves of the cucumber in different directions.
13. Make fins of the fish by cutting out triangle-shaped slices from the cucumber
14. Cut the cod roe and scoop the eggs out.
15. Add the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a pot and heat it until the sugar melts.
16. Coat the rice with vinegar by cutting it diagonally with a scooper.
17. Shape the rice into small block.
18. Put on the cod roe and seaweed.
19. Place the squid fin, body, tail, and eyes.
20. Do the same for shrimp for shrimp koi and done!