japanese deep fried chicken / チキン南蛮
400-450g chicken thighs or breast
1/2-1tsp garlic paste
1 beaten egg
salt & pepper
potato starch or deep-frying flour
3tbsp vinegar or apple black vinegar
3tbsp mirin or sugar
3tbsp soy sauce
1 boiled egg
1-2 pickled cucumbers
1/2-1tsp lemon juice
1. Get rid of the fat and strings from the chicken.
2. Beat an egg and mix it with garlic paste.
3. Get rid of excess moisture from the chicken with a paper towel.
4. Slice the chicken into even chunks.
5. Let the chicken soak in the beaten egg for about 5 minutes.
6. Mix vinegar, soy sauce and mirin in a bowl.
7. Hard boil an egg for the tartar sauce.
8. Mince the pickles and boiled egg.
9. Mix them with the mayonnaise and lemon juice.
10. Coat the chicken with potato starch, salt, and pepper. (It's easier to coat if you mix the chicken in a plastic bag.)
12. Heat the canola oil to 160°C/320°F and then deep-fry the chicken
13. When the chicken turns a brownish color, it's ready to take out.
14. Soak the chicken in the vinegar sauce while they're still hot.
15. Scoop the tartar sauce on or next to them and done!